- NORTHERN ITALY
- CENTRAL ITALY
- SOUTHERN ITALY
- INSULAR ITALY
Genova Nervi is one of the most beautiful districts of Genoa, a characteristic and charming seaside village. It is located about halfway between the center of Genoa and the peninsula of Portofino; and is easily accessible by train.
At the western end, there is the small port, the outline of the Castle on the upper left and the Collegio degli Emiliani on the right, which surround the landing place and its small beach. The colorful facades of the houses overlook the harbor, while the fishermen's boats are moored on the dock.
Going towards the east, you arrive at the church of San Siro, which preserves the profile of the typical medieval basilica. Continuing towards Capolungo, we find the road that goes up to Sant'Ilario and the many villas, which rise on this hill. Finally we arrive at Capolungo, the last remnant of Genoa, a small village with few and characteristic houses, around the beach.
The Anita Garibaldi seaside promenade, known more simply as"the Nervi promenade", is a beautiful walk on the Ligurian cliff.
Two kilometers long and a few meters from the sea, it offers a view that sweeps from Mount Portofino to France, with the surf and the foam of the sea touching you.
From the small beach, the walk climbs steeply for a few tens of meters reaching the Castle, now home to a club and area for exhibitions and conferences, to reach the Gropallo Tower.
Thanks to its particular position, Nervi has its own and very favorable microclimate: it is well protected by the mountains behind it and, even in the coldest months, a little sun is enough to find yourself walking in light clothes.
The Parks of Nervi, with over 10 hectares of greenery, were born from the union of the gardens of historic villas, with trees of monumental interest and exotic plants from all over the world.
They are an ideal destination for walks and relaxing moments and it is loved by the Genoese, who come here in all seasons, even for picnics on the lawns and playground for the little ones.
Starting from the station, you come to the eighteenth-century Villa Gropallo, before a series of historic villas.
The second is Villa Saluzzo Serra, with its exotic and Mediterranean species. The Gallery of Modern Art is located here, with over 2700 works of Ligurian artistic production from the last two centuries.
The seventeenth-century Villa Grimaldi Fassio is very famous for its rose garden, which came to count about 800 varieties of roses, coming from all over the world. Here the Frugone collection is kept, named after the merchant brothers who put together paintings, engravings and sculptures from 1860 to 1930.
The most recent of the residences is Villa Luxoro, from 1903. Inside, there is the homonymous museum, which houses a very special collection, made up of clocks dating from the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries, but also ceramics and paintings from the eighteenth century.